Tags

Favourites (79) Movies (28) Music (11) Food (10) travel (10) people (9) TV-shows (8) Web (8) Software (5) Places (4) Books (3) Games (2) Hardware (2) Pictures (2) Art (1) Events (1) sports (1)

Thursday, December 19, 2013

In Movies: High Definition 3D in The Hobbit

Let me start by saying that this will not be a review of The Hobbit 2, Desolation of Smaug. I didn't like the first one, nor the second one, and while I wasn't able to pinpoint why at first, HD 3D made it possible for me to tell you why: the script kind of sucks. I never understood how they could make 3 relatively good movies out of 3 fat books of The Lord of the Rings and now expect to do the same out of a tiny little book.

Anyway, this is about HD 3D, which is worth mentioning because it felt like seeing color for the very 1st time. I was glued to the screen because it felt like I wasn't watching a movie, but instead saw a live play.

Now there's a problem with that, because acting for a play is different from acting for a movie. In a movie, action flows and it's not just about human interaction (depending on the movie). In a play, the humans carry the plot and subsequently their acting is, how should I say, exaggerated.

The Hobbit features many "meetings" of characters, the dwarves mostly, and it looked so real that it was easy to spot bad acting. I know that's a strange comment to give on better than HD technology, but it was immediately apparent. Now, I can see plenty of positive things: the detail of the computer generated surroundings was tremendous, the dragon looked awesome, as did any orc or monster, and I really felt like I was there (the screen was not IMAX size though, sadly). But I just didn't like that movie and while I'll watch the third, because I am a huge Tolkien fan, I'll be glad when this trilogy is complete. 

No comments:

Search This Blog

Google+