Tags

Favourites (79) Movies (28) Music (11) Food (10) travel (10) people (9) TV-shows (8) Web (8) Software (5) Places (4) Books (3) Games (2) Hardware (2) Pictures (2) Art (1) Events (1) sports (1)

Sunday, January 11, 2009

In Film: Pop culture documentaries

In anticipation of Objectified, a brief thought-piece on pop culture documentaries. Not being an avid watcher of documentaries, I can list the ones I've seen on one hand:

Good Copy, Bad Copy
You can watch this one for free online. It's all about mashup culture and how the way we perceive copyright is really a western, capitalist notion (duh!). I don't remember the exact details, except I think that it goes through Brazil, India, some mashup-artists in the US, and interviews a whole bunch of (critical and non-critical) authorities in this field. Check it:


Hayao Miyazaki and the Ghibli Museum (Google video link)
A really obscure flick, and you'll be lucky to find it (with English subtitles!), I think. I remember watching this some time ago and being quite excited about it too. I'm a big fan of Studio Ghibli films and consider myself lucky to have had the opportunity to watch "Howl's Moving Castle" in the cinema, on the big screen. To me, anime has been part of pop-culture for some time, which is why I include it. In this flick, you can see some of the creatures in the Ghibli films come to real life.

Check out a full review here.



24 hour party people
I have to confess that I would've probably never watched this, if I wasn't forced to. This was, ironically, the first video shown for my entrepreneurship master at the Rotterdam school of management. Is it entrepreneurial? It's about a movement and, if I remember correctly, looking at the part of one man in it. Having lived in Manchester for some time, and having an unnatural fascination with things that no longer exist, I like the idea of looking at the city through the lens of the 70s and 80s. If you dig the Sex Pistols, Joy Division / New Order, and the Happy Mondays, chances are you'll like this too. Ah yeah, and the main character is Steve Coogan, who rocks.



That's it from me! I'd love to hear some more suggestions!

No comments:

Search This Blog

Google+